By Sulla Rose
1. You’re ruled by a single charismatic leader who has complete control over all aspects of your private and public life.
2. The leader may appropriate any and all of your property without notice.
3. Personal sacrifice for the good of others is demanded.
4. Methods of communication – including television and cell phones – are monopolized.
5. Panopticon-style architecture, shrewd furniture placement, and monitoring devices help keep an eye on everyone who needs to be watched.
6. Bribes are not infrequent.
7. Acts of terror are justified if they further an important end goal.
8. Basic freedoms that you used to enjoy are no longer afforded to you.
9. There is a theme song that plays over and over.
10. Censorship becomes a necessary part of life.
11. Previous social traditions are wiped out in order to make room for mandatory new ones.
12. Change becomes unpredictable, increasing your sense of terror and apprehension.
13. Constant movement is an essential characteristic of daily life.
14. Your relationship with reality becomes increasingly fuzzy.
15. World domination is the ultimate goal.
1-15: Living with a toddler
1-15: Also living under a totalitarian regime
About the Author
Sulla Rose (pseudonym of an author of fourteen non-fiction books) recently finished her first novel about New England suburban shenanigans. Follow her @SullaRose on Twitter.